By now, many of us are very familiar with World Watercolor Month. Charlie O'Shields, the amazing creator of Doodlewash, started World Watercolor Month in 2016 and it has become a global event. The official celebration takes place annually in July, and I'm gearing up for round three!
What many don't know is that World Watercolor Month isn't just about watercolor; it's about so much more. This celebration was begun to not only inspire you in your own creative journey but to encourage each of us to invest in the creativity of others.
I invite you to join with me in celebrating World Watercolor Month 2018. To help you understand a bit more about WWM, especially if you're new to this event, I created a short Q&A. I hope to see you around the #WorldWatercolorMonth community in July!
What are the rules of World Watercolor Month?
Thankfully, there aren't any! All you need to do to participate is to paint with watercolor at least once in July. That's it!
• If you're up for a bigger challenge, Charlie has shared prompts to kickstart ideas for completing 31 paintings in 31 days, but feel free to set your own personal challenge.
• To join in the online fun, be sure to share your paintings or sketches on social media and tag them with #WorldWatercolorMonth.
• If you're new to watercolor and need help with choosing supplies or getting started, I've got tons of information right here at the blog. And I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment, attach a photo, or just share a bit of watercolor joy.
How can I help others?
I'm so glad you asked! :) World Watercolor Month's main goal is to raise money to support arts education. A great way to do this is through The Dreaming Zebra Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides art and music supplies to those who might not otherwise have access to these tools.
It's easy to support this worthy cause, because there are so many ways to get involved.
• This year, I'm proud to be a World Watercolor Month Ambassador. This means that a percentage of all artwork sales from my site, now through the end of July, will be donated to The Dreaming Zebra. Just click here to shop in my store, and I'll take care of the rest!
• As always, a portion of proceeds from everything sold on Doodlewash is donated to The Dreaming Zebra, but this year 100% of profits from these exclusive products (including my very special, limited edition pouch) will be donated to the foundation.
What if I'm a beginner and/or can't paint?
Well then, World Watercolor Month is perfect for you! We all started right where you are. I've only been painting for a few years, so I encourage you to give it a try... and then just keep on trying!
My Art Journaling 101 series has encouragement and tips for beginning a creative journey, and I've shared a list of affordable supply recommendations for beginners. Maybe July is the perfect month for you to take the first step. I'll be rooting for you!
What else is happening during WWM?
There are so many fun ways to connect and be a part of this global watercolor celebration!
• Visit Doodlewash.com for complete information on World Watercolor Month. Doodlewash also hosts a wonderfully supportive online community of artists who are very knowledgeable, and it's also a great place to find out about WWM giveaways.
• Speaking of giveaways... All month long right here at Scratchmade Journal, I'll be sharing watercolor and art supply giveaways, tutorials, art supply reviews, and more! To keep up with all of the watercolor action and to be notified of giveaways and benefits, click on any of the social media links below and follow along.
See you all in July & happy World Watercolor Month!